Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Week 24 – As long as an Ear of Corn


More than one pound (1.3 pounds)
About 11.8 inches long

Baby M is growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts her at just over a pound. (Actually if you remember from my appointment last week. She is already over 1lb 9oz.) Since she's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), she cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but her body is filling out proportionally and she'll soon start to plump up. Her brain is also growing quickly now, and her taste buds are continuing to develop. Her lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help her air sacs inflate once she hits the outside world. Her skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon. Also by now, that fabulous face is almost fully formed, complete with eyelashes, eyebrows, and hair. Is your baby a brunette, a blonde, or a redhead? Actually, right now her locks are white since there's no pigment yet.

I found this pretty interesting that most books say you should expect to have gained 4 lbs in the first trimester and 1 pound for each week starting at 14... so at 24 weeks I should have gained 4+10= 14. I know that most of you don’t care about my weight gain but I am fascinated by it this time around because it is so much different than with Maddox. So far I am up approximately 2lbs from my prepregnancy weight. I was heavy to begin with so I assume that I am losing some of those extra lbs as the baby is growing. Just so everyone doesn’t get concerned that I am dieting or something…I eat like crazy! I have also gained 2 inches around my middle and as evidenced last week little M is now measuring a week ahead so all is well in the growth department. I guess I am just waiting for that big weight gain to hit me as I am sure it will in the next 15-16 weeks.

I have been pretty sick with a gnasty cold/viral infection. It has really been the pits. I don't remember being sick while pregnant with Maddox. Not really being able to take any good stuff for relief is a real bummer.

In other family news I want to say thank you to Shannon and to Andre for sharing some of their girl clothes with me. I am so very blessed. If anyone else wants to pass along any clothes or other things I would love it. I also want to give a shout out to Auntie Shyra & Uncle Gill for the 3 cute outfits they added to the Girl cause. Too cute. I have the best family and friends.

On one hand I want the time till baby M gets here to hurry up so we can meet but then I stop and think of all of the things I still have to do in 3 and a quarter months. It is a bit overwhelming the amount of things on my to do list. Oh well lots of others have made it through so I am sure I will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment